Medical device micro-metal injection molding (micro-MIM)
Advanced technology for micro parts
A next-generation shaping process, micro-MIM quickly, consistently and cost-effectively produces tiny medical device parts and features with tight tolerances at high volumes.
Micro-MIM offers several major benefits over conventional machine processing, including:
- Like plastic injection molding, parts can be made with intricate features; and undercuts, threads and slots can be effectively produced.
- Two or more components can be molded into one, saving the need and cost for assembly.
- Because parts can be produced in net shape, there is little waste or scrap compared with traditional machining.
- Plus, no secondary machining operations are needed.
- Parts can be produced with 98% purity and feature smooth, consistent surface finishes.
- Cost effectiveness – particularly for large runs, customers can realize substantial savings over other conventional production methods.
To create millimeter-sized components with micron-sized features, MIM overcomes the traditional limitations of machining processes by gradually converting fine metal powders into near full density, high-strength metal components. Fine metal powders with thermoplastic binders are mixed and then injection molded. In the process, the binders are chemically or thermally removed, resulting in a high-density part. Individual particles metallurgically bond together resulting in a sintered part that is net shaped.
As a result, micro-MIM maintains the extremely tight tolerances necessary to produce high-quality Class I, Class II and Class III medical components efficiently at high volume.
Our in-house facility is vertically integrated, and includes controlled environments, cleanrooms and rigorous inspection processes. All tools are built in-house, and are capable of handling implantable grade, bioresorbable materials.
Plus, automated handling systems ensure these intricate components are manufactured, inspected and packaged accurately and consistently to reduce waste and produce clean finished results.
Precise micro metal parts
Learn how technological advances are making micro-MIM a highly efficient method for manufacturing micro medical device parts with tight tolerances at high volumes.
Specializing in micro medical devices for:
- Cardiac rhythm devices
- Diagnostic devices
- Drug delivery systems
- Neuromodulation devices
- Ophthalmic devices
- Orthopedic devices
- Surgical devices
- Vascular devices
- And more!
Our suite of integrated contract manufacturing services, enhanced by our SmartStack® and NeuroStack® technologies, provides a competitive advantage with customizable linear contact systems. Plus, our facility features controlled environments, ISO 7 (class 10,000) cleanrooms and cleanroom production cells with integrated vision systems capable of operating at ISO 5 (class 100) level. *Moldflow® is a registered trademark of Autodesk® Inc.